SEASON’S WISHES

For weeks now we’ve been under the influence of a large high pressure area far inland, bringing north and/or east winds, and that is scheduled to continue this coming week. As before, north is good for lift in our mountains, and east not so much. Which it’ll be is a day-by-day question, but it looks like Saturday might be the best…
The winter solstice (shortest day of the year) is only a week away, and we’ll be closed from Monday the 18th through Friday, Jan 5. We wish you all the best for these coming holidays, and want to remind everyone you can wrap up your holiday shopping at smile.amazon.com/ch/26-4006234  and Amazon will donate a percentage to Southern California Soaring Academy Inc.

 

CONGRATULATIONS

Congratulations to Susan Bell, who got her commercial glider rating this past Monday!

So now what?  Because this awful Santa Ana fire weather has all been blowing down from the north and east, up here in the desert we’ve not seen even a bit of the smoke.  We should expect several more days of the same, with temperature gradients essentially preventing useful thermal activity, but if that wind is northerly enough, ideal slope soaring conditions will prevail, and again, more bow wave.

ENOUGH WITH THE CHARACTER BUILDING!

As if we didn’t already have character enough, we’re scheduled to build some more again this week.  The weather will officially be so-so (a rarely used technical term), with variable winds and sporadic cloudiness.  Stronger than predicted southerly wind could bring wave, and the dynamic between areas of sun and shadow might spawn thermals around the second ridge.  See SOARING IS LEARNING, below, for details…

STILL BUILDING?

First, Happy Thanksgiving and CONGRATULATIONS to John Pallidino, who flew his first glider solos last weekend — now comes the fun part!

So anyway, we’ve been building lots of character lately, whether we wish to or not, and it might continue this week as well.  We’ll see more pleasant days of partly to mostly with comfy temps and…  thermals, not so much, except maybe Saturday in the mountains.  Sunday on the other hand might be a wave day.  We won’t be holding a vote on that, you’ll just have to wait and see what Gaia decides.